Saturday, April 11, 2009

Plant shopping at It's About Thymes with Renee

Big Rooster Metal Sculpture

Peggy Martin Antique Rose tag

Peggy Martin Antique Rose

Martha Gonzales Antique Rose

Renee's Knock Out Rose


I've been needing to get my garden started for this year but have not had a chance. Work has been horribly crazy (but I am thankful I have a job.) Finally got all of the hot jobs out for the moment. So, I went to It's About Thymes in south Austin near Manchaca with my BFF Renee.

It was a lot of fun. We spent hours there. Renee has never been there and was amazing with what they have in stock. She's looking for Knock Out Rose for her front yard and other plants for the garden. I was looking for Thai pepper, Siam Queen basil and Sacred (Holy) basil.

We saw some cool metal garden sculptures and many other garden ornaments. We saw Peggy Martin Antique Rose that survived a few days under 21' of salt water of hurricane Katrina. It's a climbing rose that I will keep that in mind when I want another pink climber.

Renee found a beautiful Knock Out rose. She also considered Martha Gonzales which the gentleman at the nursery highly recommended as a very easy growing, tough antique rose. She decided to stick with the Knock Out that Lucinda recommended. She also got a Sumac Jasmine, gardenia and some ivy.

I got 6 4" pot of Thai pepper, 6 4" pots of Thai Sacred Basil, a 4" pot of Thai eggplant, and a 4" pot of the hottest pepper in the world "Bhut Jolokia". I'm going to tag this one Wayne's Pepper. He he... All these plants are very hard to find but It's About Thymes almost never failed me.

All and all it was a very successful and fun outing. We went to the Knitting Nest on the way home. It's way south on Slaughter Lane. Tera told Renee about it. Renee's gone there before but trying to get some cool yarn for me for my birthday last Nov. 4 (yes! election day)they were closed.

I got some beautiful yarn from there. I also learned about Code Pink for Peace and the White House pink quilt cozy project. They going to hang on the White House fence on Mother's Day. The project is collecting 4" knitted and crocheted squares from women all over the country to make the quilt. The background will be pink and letters will be blue. I bought a pink Cascade220 yarn in Cotton Candy pink to make some. Have to get busy with that since they have to send it by the first of May.

The Knitting Nest is an awesome shop. It has a very good vibes when you walked in. I'll definitely make many more trips down there even though it's so far from Cedar Park.

No comments: